please note, these results were originally posted to Reddit under the_black_lion‘s account.
I have not had a lot of opportunity to log in to Guild Wars 2 and make bucket loads of gold lately, so after seeing the new chests included in the latest patch I decided to treat myself with some experimentation, purchasing 50 of them.
Costing approximately 220 gold for the 6000 gems required, it’s a fair chunk of money and does take a big bite out of last month’s profits. However, It’s not like the gold has much use beyond shiny weapons and flashy effects. (and for generating more gold through flipping)
After quickly opening the boxes, and linking the item’s for the few interested denizens of Lions Arch I was left with the following rewards:-
- 1x Sclerite Weapon Claim Ticket
- 1x Mini Southsun Kasmeer (What is this, a sex toy for Asurans?!)
- 1x Potion of Karka Slaying
- 1x Consortium Mobile Crafting Station (one use, consumable)
- 2x Light Island Shoulder Skins (Probably the last thing I would stick on my shoulders..)
- 1x Heavy Island Shoulder Skin
- 1x Southsun Mask (oog ug ooh woo)
- 1x Shark’s Tooth Axe (Did they get the intern to model this?)
- 173x Passion Fruits
- 59x Passion Flowers
- 444x Karka Shells
So.. was it worthwhile buying 50 Southsun supply crates for 220 gold?
P.S. If you are holding on to large quantities of Passion Fruit, Flowers or Karka Shells then I advise you to sell them now before they fall any lower. Additionally, you can wait for the “patch excitement” to pass and buy them up for a long term investment!